iSIGHT Partners, working with the U.S. Secret Service, has determined that a new piece of malicious software, KAPTOXA (Kar-Toe-Sha), has potentially infected a large number of retail information systems. A joint publication has been issued by the Department of Homeland Security, USSS, FS-ISAC and iSIGHT Partners.
- If you have a POS system in operation, you may be at risk. If you are interested in a copy of the iSIGHT KAPTOXA POS Report, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you believe that you have been compromised, immediately contact your local U.S. Secret Service Field Office/Electronic Crimes Task Force (ECTF) or the USSS toll free number at 877-242-3375.
- For all inquiries pertaining to the official joint publication, please contact the DHS NCCIC Duty Officer at NCCIC@hq.dhs.gov or 1(888) 282-0870
- Don’t be worried, but do be vigilant
- As always, regularly check bank statements for fraudulent charges, monitor credit statements for unusual activity, and do not open email from unknown or suspicious sources
- If you receive an email from what appears to be your bank or financial institution, do not open the email or click on any links. Instead, contact your financial institution directly via phone or website to avoid any phishing scams